Fussy over things that matter
THE FUSSY MANIFESTO
At Fussy People, we believe that being fussy is a positive thing. By being fussy about the things we invite into our space and into our lives, we can make changes that positively impact our way of living and our environment.
We hope to inspire you to be FUSSY PEOPLE. Be fussy about the things that matter to you!
WE'RE FUSSY ABOUT WHO WE WORK WITH
We have curated a selection of local Dutch and European brands that share our commitment to sustainability.
We exclusively work with brands that are committed to:
- designing products that you will love forever and that will last a long time.
- making their production process as sustainable as possible, to minimize negative impact on the environment.
- using sustainable, high quality materials that are carefully selected and sourced as locally as possible.
- ethical manufacturing practices and taking great care of their employees.
- reducing carbon footprint as much as possible during transportation: we prefer designs that can be flat packed, eco-friendly packaging and eco-friendly shipping options.
FUSSY ABOUT DURABILITY
Buying less will always be our best option for a sustainable future, that’s why we focus on durability most of all. The design and high quality materials should make it possible for our products to last a very long time, preferably a lifetime. The less need for replacement, the more sustainable.
When it comes to durability we consider:
1. Timelessness. Is it a timeless design? Will you love it for a long time to come?
2. Function. Is the design well thought out? Does it function well and will it function years from now?
3. Material and repairs. Is it made of high quality material? Will it last or break easily? Can you move it into another home without consequence? Is it possible to repair without having to replace the whole piece?
Indeed, sustainable products are expensive and not for every budget. At this time, sustainable products are a privilege. We would never encourage you to buy what you don't need and don't have the budget for, be fussy about your budget! Besides sustainability, another reason we're so big on durability is because we believe high quality products are also cost effective in the end. Compared to lower quality products, they’ll last many more years and the yearly cost should reflect that. Therefore our products are worth saving up for - if that is in your possibilities.
How to purchase like a fussy person:
1. Divide the price of a product by X years (however many years you plan on using it) to calculate the yearly cost of your purchase. Is the price-quality ratio worth it?
2. Don’t purchase on a whim. Do you still like the piece after a while?
FUSSY ABOUT EQUALITY
Unfortunately our world is not yet an equal one for everyone and there’s inequality in the world of design. We strive to incorporate inclusivity where we can. By being mindful about who makes, designes or ownes the product or brand. And curate within our values.